Friday, December 25, 2020

12 Days of Christmas

The Twelve Days of Christmas

The date of the 12 Days of Christmas:  Twelve Days START from Christmas, December 25th until the beginning of Epiphany, January 6th.  The 12 days count from Dec. 25th until Jan. 6th.  A way to observe this holy day.  Most church celebrated as the time three Magi or King arrived to present gifts to the young Jesus.  

On the 1st day of Christmas, my true love sent to me...A Partridge in a Pear Tree
On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Two Turtle Doves
On the 3rd day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Three French Hens
On the 4th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Four Calling Birds
On the 5th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Five Gold Rings
On the 6th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Six Geese A-laying
On the 7th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Seven Swans A-swimming
On the 8th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Eight Maids A-milking
On the 9th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Nine Ladies Dancing
On the 10th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Ten Lords A-leaping
On the 11th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Eleven Pipers Piping
On the 12th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...Twelve Drummers Drumming

For nearly three hundred years, it was against the law in England to be a member of the Catholic Church.  Well, that didn't keep Catholic parents from wanting to teach their children about God, but in order to do so they had to be creative.   They used a secret code hidden in the song to teach their children abut the things of God.

"My True Love" represents God, who gives all the gifts in listed in the song.
"A partridge in a pear tree" is Jesus, who give His life on a tree (the cross).
"Two Turtle doves" symbolized the Old and New Testaments.
"Three French hens" are faith, hope, and love.
"Four calling birds" speak of the four Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
"Five golden rings" correspond to the first five books of the Bible, also-known as the Pentateuch.
"Six geese a-laying" stand for the six days of creation.
"Seven Swans a-swimming" are the seven gifts of the Spirit - Roman 12:6-8
"Eight maids a-milking" point to the eight beatitudes - Matthew 5:3-10
"Nine ladies dancing" signify the nine fruits of the Spirit - Galatians 5:22-23
"Ten lords a-leaping" represent the Ten Commandments.
"Eleven pipers piping" are the eleven faithful disciples.
And Finally
"Twelve drummers drumming" call to mind the twelve points of the Apostle's Creed."


No comments: